fbpx
RU EN PL UK

St. Michael's Golden-Domed Cathedral Kiev

St. Michael's Golden-domed Monastery is the oldest cathedral in Ukraine. The first stone in its construction was laid back in 1108-th year.

The illustrious prince Svyatopolk decided thus to perpetuate the victory of Rusichs over the Polovtsians. At the same time, the construction of the main cathedral, the Cathedral of Michael the Archangel, was also conducted.

It is Mikhailovsky Cathedral on the edge of the Starokievo Mountain, not far from the St. Andrew's Church. When it was built for the first time in Kievan Rus, the dome was gilded. It was for this that he received the title of Zlatoverhogo. The walls of the cathedral are composed of alternating rows of stone with a flat brick. Also, the Temple was famous for its flickering frescoes and mosaics. The images laid out by the mosaic created a shimmering effect, when they are as if illuminated by light, it seems as if they go into the shadows. Known master of those years, owning this kind of painting, was a monk of the Kiev-Pechora monastery Alimpiy. It is believed that it was he who designed the St. Michael's Cathedral.

St. Michael's Golden-domed Monastery became the burial place of many princes of Kiev. For many centuries the monastery was attacked by strangers more than once, it was repeatedly destroyed and looted, passed from hand to hand. Strongly damaged the monastery during the invasion of the Mongol in 1240 year, but the ancient temple withstood the onslaught of the barbarians.

In the fourteenth century, the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery was in the possession of the Lithuanian princes. These years led him to complete desolation, but already in the sixteenth century, his recovery began. Hetman Skoropadsky built an amazing iconostasis, and Emperor Alexander I brought to the monastery the richest image of the Archangel of St. Michael. The basis of the image is a board of pure gold and it is strewn with diamonds. The main altar still pleases parishioners with the ancient mosaic image of the Last Supper. The pillars holding the altar, store the images of prophets from the XIIth century. And these faces of the saints were discovered under a later coating of oil painting.

Many people come here to bow to the relics of St. Barbara. They are resting in the center of the temple, in a silver tomb. The tomb shows pictures of Varvara's torment and her death. This cancer was donated to the temple in 1847 by Countess Orlova.

At the monastery there is a hospital where all poor believers receive free help, also a church refectory where they will feed all the hungry, the church school, the school for boys, the monastery library. The monastery belongs to Theophany monastery (1861 year).

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!