RU EN PL UK

Ternopil Lake

Ternopil Lake - paradoxically, it is an example of a fortification structure created by human hands.

Its history began in the distant XVI century, when right after the completion of the castle construction the owner of Ternopil lands, Ian Amor Tarnovsky (1488 - 1561), faced the question of reliable protection of his newly created child. It was then that the project of overlapping the nearby Seret River with a dam was born to create an artificial lake to block land access to the stronghold.

The implementation of such a rational and ambitious plan did not take long to wait for, in addition to the fortification advantages, the pond should also serve economic and commercial purposes-fish breeding for the needs of the townspeople and for sale in other cities of the Polish kingdom. Therefore, in the spring of 1548, the owner receives permission to implement the project, which was soon successfully completed.

The lake, despite its artificial origin, became a reliable defender of Ternopil, covering the city with six-meter blue ribbon from three sides (leaving only the eastern approaches to the land); Through the dam the way to Lviv was opened at the same gate with the Vozdvizhenskaya church.

But not everything was so cloudless in the fate of Ternopil Lake - in 1675 it was completely destroyed by Turkish troops when they destroyed the dam in protest against the terms of the Buchach peace treaty.

Restored in a short time, the pond faithfully served the city for more than two centuries, surviving the First of the two world wars of the twentieth century, and then begin a slow dying in the interwar period, when its bottom gradually overgrown with moss turning into a marsh. Years of the Second World War - completed its destruction.

Destroyed during the last World War, the city revived from the ashes, its blue pearl was not forgotten - it was restored under the name of the Komsomol lake, raising the water level (1956), building a marina and two beaches (1960-e), launching a motor ship (1968) ), building a pier on the opposite bank of the castle and a large fountain in the eastern part (1970-e), and in the next decade there was a hydro park now known as "Topilche".

Nowadays, the pond is the pride and beauty of the city, in which all the past centuries are reflected, as in a mirror, and inspire future generations with a vibrant attitude to the gifts of history.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!