fbpx
RU EN PL UK

Pochaev Lavra

In the town of Pochaev in the Ternopil region there is the famous Holy Assumption Pochayiv Lavra. This is the largest Orthodox church complex and monastery in Western Ukraine and the second after the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. The Pochaev Lavra is a well-known Orthodox shrine that annually attracts thousands of pilgrims from all over the world.

According to legend, the monastery was founded by monks of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, who fled from the invasion of the Tatars in 1240. The place of its seclusion was named in memory of the river Pochaina - the tributary of the Dnieper, on the shore of which once stood their monastery. Then the monks were honored with the blessing of the Mother of God. She appeared to them on the rock, leaving on the stone a trace of her right foot, from which began curling water. With the increase in the number of parishioners, there was a need to build a church, which was erected at the foot of the mountain (now there is a chapel on this place).

So gradually from the end of 16 century the monastery becomes the center of spiritual life on the western lands of Russia. In 1597, the monastery receives as a gift from the local landowner Anna Goiskoy significant land, estates and the most precious treasure - the miraculous image of the Mother of God.

From 1713 to 1831, the Pochaev Monastery was Greek Catholic. During this period, the main temple of the monastery was built - Holy Assumption (1771-1791), refectory, monastic cells. In 1833, the monastery received the status of laurels.

The Soviet period heavily affected the history of the Pochaev Lavra. All buildings were selected. In the house of the present seminary, which stands at the rise to the Holy Gates, the authorities quickly arranged a museum of atheism. Many valuable things and books passed there. The hotel for pilgrims was converted into a psychiatric hospital.

5 August 1990 Holy Assumption Pochaev Lavra celebrated the 750 anniversary of its foundation. Since 1997, it has the status of stauropegic, that is, canonically directly under the jurisdiction of His Beatitude Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!