The castle of the earl of Schönborn

This architectural miracle is located in the Mukacheve district of the Transcarpathian region. Cobbled path avenues of an old and well-groomed park itself will lead to the castle.

As historical sources testify, the abolition of the national liberation movement (1703-1711), the Austrian Count Schönborn, received as a gift from the bishop vast territory for his eternal use. Count Buheim Schönborn built a wooden castle here.

In 1890, in its place, a new stone castle palace was built in a romantic style. It's like a fairy tale. Its numerous towers of different shapes, all roofs covered with red shingles of different heights. His main watch is adorned with a clock with chimes, which to this day go exactly. On the facade there is a heraldic molding. In addition, many other details that give the castle a unique charm: weathercocks, colored stained glass windows, wooden carved doors. The whole building is symbolic. The number of windows - 365 (according to the number of days in the year), 52 chimney (as many weeks in the year), and the number of doors - 12 (no comment).

Harmoniously complemented by the architectural ensemble is a beautifully preserved park, in which rare trees and shrubs are planted, the motherland of which is the eastern countries. Here are planted box, sakura, catalpa, Weymouth pine, Canadian spruce and many other plants.

Until 20-ies of the XX century, the castle was used for its intended purpose, i.e. as a hunting. Here came to rest and hunting to know almost from all over Europe. In 1928, the Czechoslovak government liquidated the Mukachevo-Chinadiev dominion, and the hunting palace was handed over to the firm Latoritsa.

In 1945, the land and grounds were nationalized, and the castle itself became the sanatorium "Carpathians", where people with cardiovascular diseases are improving their health.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!