Kiev-Pechersk Lavra

On the high hills of the right bank of the Dnieper, the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra crowned with golden domes rises majestically - the inheritance of the Blessed Virgin, the cradle of monasticism in Russia and the stronghold of the Orthodox faith.

Monastery Pechersk Lavra was founded in the XI century and was built during the next 9. The name "Pecherskaya" comes from the word "caves", which were found in this territory and in which the first monks settled. The monastery is an honorary name given to very large and significant monasteries. The architectural complex of the monastery still makes a grand impression today. On a sunny day, the glint of numerous domes and belfries blinds the eyes. Until the middle of the twentieth century the Great Lavra bell tower was the highest building in Kiev.

We offer you to admire the panorama of Kiev from its peak. Most of the buildings of the Monastery date from the 12th-13th centuries, and are an excellent example of the Ukrainian Baroque style in architecture.

The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra began its existence in 1051. The prince Izyaslav, the son of Yaroslav the Wise, and the Kiev nobles, who donated funds for the construction of a land temple and cells, became frequent visitors to the cave monastery, when caves became tight for a rapidly growing number of brethren. Since 12 century in the Monastery only one church has been preserved with minor architectural changes, which were made later. This church is above the gates of the main entrance to the Monastery and it is called "Nadbramna". The full name of the Church is the Trinity Nadbramnaya Church - "Church of the Holy Trinity above Brama". It's just a miracle that it was preserved, since numerous raids were committed throughout the history of the Monastery, it suffered devastating fires and other bad weather, which caused considerable damage to it. The church was created in 1106-1108. Greek architects and icon painters. In the painting also participated the Reverend Alipius, who is considered the ancestor of a special, distinct from Greek, icon painting art.

Monks of the Kiev-Pechersk monastery and, first of all, hermits, differed in their morality and selflessness. This attracted educated and noble people to the Lavra. The monastery became an original academy of Orthodox hierarchs. Prior to the beginning of the 13th century, from among his monks to different parts of Kievan Rus, 50 bishops were appointed. Playing a significant role in the unification of the East Slavic lands, being a spiritual, social, cultural and educational center, the Pechersk monastery enjoyed well-deserved fame not only in Russia, but also in Poland, Armenia, Byzantium, Bulgaria and other countries.

Since 40-ies of the XIII century. and until the beginning of the XIV century. The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra was a witness of the Tatar-Mongol invasions. The monastery, like the rest of Kiev, was also badly damaged in 1399 and 1416. By the end of the 16th century, overcoming various difficulties connected with the encroachment of Ukrainian lands, as well as interference in the inner life of the monastery's monastery and monastery, the monastery, rebuilding temples and acquiring new lands, was actively reviving. Having no previous glory, which existed in the first centuries of its existence, it remains one of the major spiritual, educational and cultural centers of Ukraine. The Kiev-Pechersk Lavra was not ignored by any of the Russian princes: Alexei Mikhailovich and Peter the Great, Catherine II, Anna Ioannovna, Nicholas I and Nicholas II, Alexander I, Alexander II, Alexander III, Paul, Elizabeth ... In 1911 the land of the monastery took the remains of Pyotr Arcadievich Stolypin, an outstanding statesman of the Russian Empire.

After the October coup 1917. For the monastery began the most difficult times in its history. According to the decree of the Soviet government "On the separation of the Church from the state and the school from the Church," all property of church and religious societies was declared the property of the people. Gradual isolation of the church community, ousting it with the created museum, was completed by the beginning of 1930 in the complete liquidation of the monastery. Great damage to the architectural and historical values ​​of the Lavra was inflicted during the Great Patriotic War. 3 November 1941 year was blown up by the Holy Dormition Cathedral. In 1961, the functioning monastery, which was resumed on the territory of the Lower Lavra during the Nazi occupation - 1941, was abolished, its inhabitants expelled. In June 1988, in connection with the celebration of the 1000-year anniversary of the Baptism of Kievan Rus and according to the resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR, the newly created community was given the territory of the Far Caves with all land structures and caves; in 1990, the territory of the Near Caves was transferred.

Recently, the Holy Dormition Cathedral, which was blown up during the Great Patriotic War, was restored. On the territory of the monastery there are many museums and exhibitions. For example, in the museum of jewelry you can see an invaluable collection of historical values ​​of the times of Kievan Rus. The official name of the Lavra is the National Kiev-Pechersky Historical and Cultural Reserve.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!