RU EN PL UK

city ​​of Akhtyrka

The town of Akhtyrka was founded in the 17th century. as the border guard post of Speech Pospolita on the bank of the river. Vorskla, on the site of the Old Slavonic settlement. The name comes from a small river of the same name and the Akhtyr Mountain (translated from the Turkic as "White Yar").

The core of the city was a small fortress that occupied the territory of the present center, from the river to the square where the Cathedral of the Intercession is located (not preserved). The fortress played an important role during the Northern War, forcing Charles XII to abandon plans to capture the city and advance eastward. After the liquidation in 1765 of the Cossack self-government in Slobozhanshchina, Akhtyrka became the district center of the Kharkov province.

Now it is not only a large industrial city and an oil production center, but also a unique museum of temples in the open air - many monuments of sacral architecture: the Intercession Cathedral (1753-68) by the Rastrelli project, the Church of the Inductions (1774-84), the St. Michael Church (1884) with domed balls, St. George's Church (1908), etc. The Troitsky Monastery, founded in 1654, is reviving.

The majestic church of St. George the Victorious is also known as the St. George's Church. Its history begins with 1660, when the first St. George church was built in Akhtyrka. Subsequently, it was repeatedly reconstructed by the efforts of the hussar regiment D. Davydov, but in 1860 instead of the dilapidated church it was decided to build a new one. Construction lasted 45 years. The temple was consecrated only in 1905, and it did not last long. In 1920, it was closed and partially looted by the Bolsheviks, for a long time the premises were used as a warehouse. In 1993, the temple was given to the community of the UOC-Kyiv Patriarchate. Church of the Archangel Michael The original architecture with a temple-balls on a thin "neck" is built on the outskirts of the city in 1884 as an army church. Embossment of red brick with decorative elements of Byzantine and Russian architecture of the XVII century. remotely resembles the appearance of military churches of the early XX century, meeting in the Right-Bank Ukraine. A feature of the interior decor is the belt of deep semicircular niches stretched under the lunettes with works of easel painting. The oil thematic painting is covered with conch. Interior decoration later. The structure is distinguished by the originality of the three-dimensional solution, the clarity of the silhouette.

Pokrovsky Cathedral is the main temple of the city, the visiting card of Akhtyrka. The place where it was built was the place where priest Daniil Polyansky in 1739 found a miraculous icon of the Mother of God of Akhtyr. The project of the cathedral in the style of Ukrainian baroque was developed in 1753 by the famous architect V. Rastrelli. Part of the money was allocated by the Empress Elizabeth, who visited the city in 1744. The construction lasted 15 years and was completed in 1768. A well-known Russian architect took part in the construction. E. Dudinsky. The interior is decorated with pilasters with capitals of an ionic warrant, modeling of vegetable and rocail motives, painting on sails. The building was damaged during the Second World War, restored in 1970-72. The icon of the Mother of God of Akhtyr was stolen in 1903 during the restoration in St. Petersburg, the cathedral keeps a list. Other lists are in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Samara, Kharkov and many other cities.

The ensemble of the cathedral also includes the Vvedenskaya church-bell tower (1784) and the Church of the Nativity of Christ (1825). Three-level Vvedenskaya church-bell tower is part of the complex of the Intercession Cathedral. Built according to the project of Kharkov architect, native of the city of Akhtyrka P. Yaroslavsky. It is executed in baroque style with elements of classicism. Has a centric pyramidal composition and consists of three tiers, installed on a low base. In the first tier there is a church, the two upper ones are designed for bells. The structure is characterized by good proportions and the clarity of the silhouette. It is located near the main entrance to the Intercession Cathedral and is its bell tower.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!