fbpx
RU EN PL UK

Vladimir-Volynsky

Vladimir-Volynsky - one of the oldest cities of Kievan Rus. The first chronicle mention of the city refers to 988 year, it was at that time that the Kiev prince Vladimir Svyatoslavich sent his son Vsevolod to reign in the city. 

In the XI-XII centuries, Vladimir had an important military-strategic importance as a defensive outpost on the western borders of the ancient Russian state and was one of the largest cities of Kievan Rus, along with Kiev, Chernigov, Pereyaslav. 

In the first half of the XIII century, Vladimir became the center of the Galicia-Volyn principality. These glorious times of the reign of princes Daniel Galitsky and his brother Vasilko Romanovich are the time of the greatest prosperity of ancient Vladimir, which was famous as a center of trade, crafts, and art.

The Vladimir fortress was one of the most powerful in Europe. When in 1231 the Hungarian king Andrew with an army approached the walls of Vladimir, he did not dare to storm the city, saying that “he had never seen such a fortress in German lands either.” The remains of the earthen ramparts of the ancient Russian settlement of the X-XIII centuries still attract tourists and history lovers here. 

The oldest cathedral in Volyn, the Assumption, built by Kiev builders in 1156-1160 during the reign of Mstislav Izyaslavich, has also survived from the time of ancient Vladimir. The cathedral is the burial vault of the Galicia-Volyn princes.

Other sights of Vladimir are the Church-Rotunda of St. Basil, the Roman Catholic Church of St. Joachim and Anna, the Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ, the Dominican Monastery - witnesses of different eras and milestones in the history of the city.

When in 1795 Vladimir joined the Russian Empire, the city was renamed into Vladimir-Volynsky, not to be confused with the Russian city of the same name.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!