fbpx
RU EN PL UK

Ancient Wall of Chernigov

Chernigov is one of the most ancient cities of Ukraine. In the times of Kievan Rus it was the center of the Chernigov-Seversky principality.

Together with Kiev Chernigov became the most powerful military defensive point of the ancient Russian state.

Chernigov Val - one of the most visited places of the city reminds of its heroic past. It is located in the central part of Chernigov, where the river Stryzhen falls into Desna. Earlier on the top of this earthen rampart was built defensive fortress - Detinets, which separated from the outer part of the city in a deep moat. Its territory was considered the safest for the construction of cathedrals, churches, houses of princes and feudal lords. At the end of the 19 century, all the protective points of the Chernigov Val were demolished, and in their place a boulevard was built. Now most of the architectural monuments of the city are located on this territory.

The most ancient structure is the Cathedral of the Savior. It was built in the first half of the 11 century by Prince Mstislav. Together with Borisoglebovsky church, the cathedral is part of the historical architectural reserve "Chernigov Ancient". In these ancient buildings, concerts of sacred music are held and exhibitions of Chernihiv architecture, crafts and temple frescos are held. In the church of St. John the Evangelist, built in the beginning of the 18 century, now the directorate of the architectural reserve "Chernigov Ancient" is located. Its building is also a museum of Ukrainian icons. In 13-15 centuries the cultural development of Chernigov was suspended due to the destructive raids of the Mongol-Tatar horde and establishment of a yoke on the lands of Kievan Rus. For a long time, no new architectural monuments were erected on the territory of Chernigov Val.

At the end of 17 century on the south-western slope a building was built, known as "Mazepa's House". According to the legend, Ukrainian hetman Mazepa hid the young beloved Motryu Kochubei, who fled to him from her parents' home.

Entrance to the city of Chernigov is decorated with one of the amazing architectural sights - the church of St. Catherine. It is the visiting card of the city. The church is located on a hill and is separated by a ravine. In 1715, it was erected in memory of the Cossack general Yakov Lizogub, who in 1696 took the Turkish fortress of Azov.

Along the Chernigov Val, there are 12 guns, which to this day are reminiscent of his defensive role. It is said that Tsar Peter I presented this gift to the Chernigovists for their military merits.

Chernigov Val has long been a favorite place for visitors to the city and the citizens themselves. Walking along the alleys of the park, you can feel the spirit of ancient times. From the terraces of the Chernihiv Vala, tourists can enjoy the view of the Boldiny Mountains and the oldest Yelets Dormition Monastery and the Trinity Cathedral. In the 20 century in the park were also installed monuments to two great poets - Taras Shevchenko and Alexander Pushkin. On the boulevard there are cafes, which please their visitors with traditional Ukrainian dishes.

Do you want to keep abreast of all the news and not miss interesting tours?

Subscribe to the newsletter and you will be the first to know about our offers!